Finally, the Americans were evacuated by the government. It decided to evacuate its citizens from the Janapenese Cruise Ship that has been quarantined for two weeks now. Two airplanes chartered by the US government were sent to evacuate the citizens.
A total of 105 people were reported to have been killed by the coronavirus in mainland China on Sunday, the Chinese National Health Commission (NHC) said.
One hundred of the 105 deaths reported yesterday were in Hubei province, the epicenter of the outbreak. The NHC said that more than 1,950 additional cases of the virus were confirmed Sunday. That brings the total number of cases in Hubei to 59,182.
Another total of 2,048 cases was confirmed in mainland China on Sunday. Authorities said 10,848 patients have recovered and been discharged from the hospital.
According to the World Health Organization, there are more than 72,319 cases of the virus recorded worldwide, 70,548 of which are in mainland China. The global death toll now stands at 1,775, with the vast majority of those deaths in mainland China. Five deaths have been reported outside of mainland China: one in Hong Kong, one in Taiwan, one in Japan, one in the Philippines and one in France.
The Covid-19 outbreak, which began in the Chinese city of Wuhan, continues to spread worldwide. It has caused a lot of global uncertainties with many predicting it would lead to the crash of several economies. So far there has been a rise in Gold as a safe haven since several investors are rushing to buy it.
Japan has recorded the highest number of cases outside China, with at least 418 total cases of which 356 are on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, docked in quarantine in Yokohama.
Here are the latest developments:
- Numbers are rising rapidly: The Covid-19 has killed 1,775 people and infected 72,399 globally, with the majority of those numbers in mainland China, specifically in Hubei province, where the outbreak began.
- Bill Gates warns of 10 million deaths in Africa: Bill Gates the founder of Microsoft warned as the first case was reported in Africa.
- Deaths recorded outside China: There have been two more deaths outside mainland China – one in Taiwan, and another one in France. That brings the total number of deaths outside China to five; the other three happened in Hong Kong, the Philippines, and Japan.
- Americans evacuated Cruise ship evacuation: The US government started to evacuate American passengers from the Diamond Princess that had departed Tokyo, with more than 300 onboard. They will head to military bases in Texas and California.
- Africa records the first case of Coronavirus: On Friday Egypt recorded the first case of coronavirus. The minister of health confirmed the incident and said the foreigner had been separated.