A Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) is an entity that is specialized in the collection and sale of credit performance information for individuals and companies in Kenya. In Kenya, there are several entities that one can use to check Credit Reference Bureau Status (CRB).
Most lending institutions or even government jobs require that you obtain a CRB certificate or not be blacklisted. The law permits credit providers to submit names of defaulters/non-performing loans to Credit Reference Bureaus for blacklisting.
A creditor may fail to notify you before submitting your name to CRB or sometimes give bad reports about your credit history to more than one CRBs. To check your CRB Kenya status, your need to register with one or all 3 currently licensed CRB companies in Kenya.
- Metropol Corporation
Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) is one of the essential agencies in the country. The firm collects information from registered financial institutions. In turn, it makes sure that the gathered consumer credit details are available to all the credit lending establishments across the country. But do you know how to check CRB status online in Kenya to determine your credit score?
A positive CRB status means that you are consistent in repaying your loans while negative means a defaulted credit. If you fall in the latter category, you are listed in a blacklist record that is accessible to all lenders. As a result, you can never get another loan due to your bad reputation. So what’s the procedure on how to check CRB status online in Kenya? How to check if you are in CRB The following are the ways you can ascertain if your name is blacklisted in CRB:
1. How to check your CRB status with Metropol
- Dial *433# on your mobile phone using Safaricom line
- Enter your National ID Number
- Enter an agent number if you were referred by a Metropol agent else enter zero (0) to proceed
- Confirm your details to complete the registration process
- Pay Ksh 100 as registration fees through the Paybill number 220388 and use your National ID number as the account number
- You will receive an SMS with Crytobol PIN, a Reference Number, and a Link to access your credit report
- Visit Metropol website through the link provided and enter your phone number and reference number to download your credit report
To access other services on the Metropol website or Metropol application is available on both Google Play Store. Upon installation, you need to launch it and start the registration process by following on-screen instructions. If you have decided to use the Metropol website, use your browser to access it. We recommend Chrome, Browser, Safari, or Firefox, follow the following steps. Remember to pay for all the charges the same way you paid for registration.
- Visit the Metropol website
- Enter your PIN, in case you forgot, Call 0709 834 000 for assistance
- Select your desired service from a variety of options like Listing Status, Credit Scores, Credit report, Clearance Certificate and Who listed me
All payments are made to Paybill number 220388, use your National ID number as the Account number. The following fees apply for the type of service requested for.
- Credit Score – Ksh 150
- Blacklist Status – Ksh 50
- Credit Report – Ksh 250
- Who Has Blacklisted Me – Ksh 50
- Clearance Certificate – Ksh 2,200
2. How to check your CRB status with TransUnion
TransUnion CRB Kenya services can be accessed via SMS number 21272, default TransUnion Nipashe app and through their official website.
TransUnion CRB Kenya services can be accessed via SMS number 21272, default TransUnion Nipashe app, and through their official website.
- Text your full names to 21272 or 21CRB. Note: SMS Charges cost Ksh 19. Download the TransUnion Nipashe app to save on SMS charges
- Register by paying a one-off payment of Ksh 50 to PayBill number 212121 and use your National ID as account number
- Request your credit status CR (Credit Report)
- Reply with your email to access it
- Receive your CRB status. Good means a positive status (not blacklisted) and default means a negative status (you are blacklisted)
For subsequent credit reports, Pay Ksh 650 to either Mpesa/Airtel Paybill number 212121 and your National ID number as an account number. This enables you to get more than one credit report in a year.
For a Clearance Certificate, pay Ksh 2,200, then Email your Mpesa/Airtel transaction details to [email protected] and you will be emailed back the Clearance Certificate.
3. How to check CRB status with Creditinfo
How to check My CRB Status online via CreditInfo CreditInfo entirely works on the information they receive through emails. You will be required to fill the following:
- An online credit request form to obtain your certificate of clearance.
- If you feel that your credit report contains incorrect information, you will be asked to fill the Credit Report Dispute Form
Reach out to this CRB company via the following to have your issues sorted:
Physical location: Park Suites, Office 12, Second Floor, Parklands Road
Postal address: PO Box 38941-00623 – Parklands, Nairobi.
Phone Number: +254 20 375 7272.
Email: [email protected]
Check CRB status via USSD code
If you can’t access the internet or download any app on your device, then you can use this simple procedure to check your credit score. This method is highly recommendable as it is fast and hassles free. However, it isn’t free of charge as it will cost you Ksh. 100. Use the following steps
- Open your phone dial app
- Dial *433# and tap the call icon and make a call from your Safaricom line
- Enter your valid National ID
- Key in the agent code as 222000
- Confirm your details
- Navigate to M-Pesa on your phone to make payments using 220388 as the Pay Bill number
- The account number should be your valid National ID number
- Enter Ksh. 100 Key in your PIN and send it.
You will receive confirmation messages as well as your CRB status in seconds if your transaction was successful.
The procedure on how to check CRB status online in Kenya is that simple. None of the Credit Reference Bureaus offers free services. Hence you will need some funds in your M-Pesa account. If you are blacklisted, clear your outstanding loan with your financer as soon as possible and follow up to have your name cleared.