The role of a manager/coach in a football club differs on rare occasions. In association football, a manager is the occupational of head coach in the United Kingdom or any particular country, and he is responsible for running a football club or a national team. Outside the British Isles and across most of Europe, the title of head coach or coach is predominant. In the majority of European countries where professional football is played, the person responsible for the direction of a team is awarded the position of coach or “trainer”. While the first-team coach in European football is usually an assistant to the manager who actually holds the real power, the American-style general manager and head coach have clearly distinct areas of responsibility.
A manager/coach is essentially responsible for running and functioning the team. The manager/coach’s responsibilities in a professional football club usually include (but are not limited to) the following.
- Coach and train players at the club
- Autonomy to make tactical and personnel decisions to shape the way his side plays football
- Selecting the team of players for matches, and their formation
- Planning the strategy, and instructing the players on the pitch
- Motivating players before and during a match
- Delegating duties to the first team coach and the coaching and medical staff
- Scouting for young but talented players for eventual training in the youth academy or the reserves, and encouraging their development and improvement
- Transferring (buying and selling) players in the transfer market, including loans
- Managing contracts of current players
- Conducting press conferences and media management, i.e facing the media in pre-match and post-match interviews
Some of the above responsibilities are shared with the director of football or sporting director and are at times delegated to an assistant manager or club coach. Additionally, depending on the club, often managers/coaches of small clubs, responsibilities include the:
- Marketing the club, most especially for ticket admission, sponsorship, and merchandising
- Growing turnover and keeping the club profitable.
- Top 20 Most Traded Currencies in the World - November 12, 2022
- Top 20 Countries With the Most Skyscrapers in the World 2022 - November 11, 2022
- How to get Zenka Loan by Zenka USSD Code or Zenka Loan App - August 3, 2022